Saturday, December 17, 2011

12 Days of DIY - Days 1 & 2 - "Tribal" Necklaces and a Cupcake Fail

Happy Holidays!! I'm attempting to do another 12 days of crafting (leading up to New Years). The general idea is that everyday for 12 days I make a different craft or do something DIY related (like baking or nail art). I'm already behind (shocker) but it's all good.

So to start things off, I decided to try my hand at I Spy DIY's Tribal Necklaces.

Source
Lately I have been falling in love with lots of the different DIYs on her blog and this one seemed relatively easy to do. I am currently not at my regular home so this majority of  my craft stuff is not with me, but embroidery floss is fairly easy to walk with. I used that, combined with a cotton cord from the Dollarama and some gold and silver findings to make a bunch of bracelets and necklaces.

 





This one took forever because instead of just wrapping the embroidery thread around the cord, I Chinese Staircased it. It was very time consuming.

Once I get silver clasps, I'll finish the set off.

 

the cord - the basis for the jewelry
Day 2 involved a whole lot of cupcake fail. I had some tinfoil aluminum star shaped baking thingys and I thought, why not make some yummy treats for me and my mum? Well it turns out that with out a box to bake from, I'm a hopeless fail. I followed some recipe on an australian website that seems to have led me astray. Extremely dense, almost rock like cakes are not particulary tasty.


Oh lordy, can't forget the icing. I attempted multiple times to make some creamy, fluffy, thick icing but it ended up being nothing of the sort. I tried to salvage what ended up being a lemony glaze with green, festive food colouring, but the end result turned out more like moldy looking stars than holiday themed desserts.

there really is green icing - at least it was tasty
From now on Betty Crocker and myself are going to be the best of friends. Harry Potter Fans will like tomorrow's project :)

1 comment:

  1. What are the name of the gold things at the end of the bracelets and where can I get them I have been looking everywhere.

    ReplyDelete